The Chevening Secretariat has informed us that applications will open on August 3rd and close on November 2nd, 2021. Scholarships are fully funded by the UK government for full-time studies of one year in the UK. How You Can Get a Chevening Scholarship is the subject of this post. You don’t need any professional experience.
Last year, 1800 Chevening Scholarships were awarded to students all over the world. Due to the COVID-19, the Chevening removed the English Language Requirement like IELTS or TOEFL. The plan for this year is not clear. The Chevening Scholarship is open to all countries. You can order from anywhere in the world. For all countries, the last date to apply will be the same.
You will be covered for lodging, tuition and fees, air travel tickets, books, stipend, travel costs, etc. Every aspect of your studies will be covered by the scholarship. It doesn’t cost you anything, so don’t be alarmed. If you want to be selected for the Chevening scholarship for the year 2022, you must give your all. The entire process can be explained, including guidelines, Chevening scholarship, and how to win the scholarship.
How You Can Win a Chevening Scholarship?
6 Application Tips for Chevening Scholarship
- Make sure your sentences make sense and your grammar is correct. Check the spelling of words and the names of institutions.
- When discussing personal accomplishments, use ‘I’ instead of ‘we’.
- In your answers, do not use bullet points to outline responsibilities or future plans. Please tell us about your goals in full sentences and share your stories with us!
- Assessors know when answers are copied and pasted from a CV, personal statement or reference letter. Make sure you tailor your answers to the question.
- Make sure you clearly link your chosen course of study to your past experiences and future goals for your application to be considered outstanding.
- The Chevening Applicants must demonstrate leadership, influence, and ability to build relationships. Additionally, you should have a clear understanding of how studying with a UK university will help you achieve your career goals.
Pro Tip: You should apply to more than three universities, at least five to six, to secure admission, because if you did not secure admission in any of the universities listed in your application form, but have admission in a fourth university (not listed) than your scholarship can still be secured.
If you have been invited for an interview, you can tell them about the 4th university where you have been accepted.
NOTE: You are not required to have an admission letter from university to apply for Chevening at this point.
Give preference in your application to universities that you feel have the best chance of admission. You can change your preference at the interview stage.
It takes approximately one year to complete the selection process, which includes an application, interview, conditional offer, final award, and pre-departure briefing. No doubt, the process will demand extraordinary mental and emotional strength, but don’t let that stop you from taking advantage of this life-changing opportunity.
It was a painless process for me, and I’m glad that I made the decision to go through it. My experience provides some tips if you are considering applying.
Work Experience is Necessary for the Chevening Scholarship?
Here, Chevening won the hearts of the people. Chevening does not require any practical work experience. Candidates for Chevening Scholarships must have at least two years of work experience.
Chevening can be applied to the following types of work experience:
- Full-time employment
- Part-time employment
- Voluntary work
- Paid or unpaid internships
It is not necessary to meet the work experience requirement in one employment period. To satisfy the requirement, applicants can submit up to ten different employment periods. Please enter the periods which made up the largest number of hours worked if you have held more than ten positions.
Two years of work experience = 2,800 hours – Chevening Scholarships
How to Win a Chevening Scholarship Interview 2022?
In the interview, you will have about an hour to convince a panel that you are worthy of this amazing opportunity. Here are some general things to keep in mind.
When you are shortlisted for an interview for a Chevening Scholarship, you will be invited to attend the interview in the city/town where the British embassy or high commission is located.
Book a Morning Slot
You can book an interview slot when you are selected to participate in the Chevening Interview for the scholarship.
Schedule an appointment in the morning if at all possible. There has been research showing that tired teachers, judges, and interviewers are harsher.
By the end of 15 days, you’d probably be sick of interviewing 5 to 6 people each day. In those cases, catch the panel early in the morning when they’re at their best.
Be Consistent with your Essays
During the interview, the panel will spend time asking for additional details to clarify the things you mention in your essays. The essays you write should be familiar to you from beginning to end.
Consider going deep into what you wrote and analyzing not only your experience but also your logic, motivation (why and how you did certain things), passion, and goals (what drives you). It is unlikely that the panel will ask you to repeat what you have already written, but will instead dig deeper to discover your true motivation.
In order to paint an impression of self-assurance and authenticity, it is very important to be consistent with your essay (especially when discussing your passion and motivation).
Examples of Chevening Interview Questions
- Why do I want to study in the UK?
- Why am I interested in Chevening?
- Why I chose my course of study?
- Why do I consider myself a leader?
- My Short term and long term professional goals (especially linking it to what the UK is doing in my country).
- How will my country benefit from my experience and expertise in the future?
There are a total of 4 essays, each of which should have 500 words;
The first essay discusses networking skills of candidates
- Networking and personal relationships at the national and international levels are important.
- Discuss how he deals with people from a variety of professions, including government representatives, international representatives, public authorities, and academics.
- Describe how he has been exposed to different cultures, age groups, and socioeconomic classes.
- His long-term relationships should be briefly described.
- He should improve his communication skills in different areas.
2nd essay would ask you about your leadership qualities
- A candidate should explain his leadership experience in scenarios.
- His experience managing teams in various projects.
- Managing fixed budget community projects.
- He considered the opinions of all members and negotiated among them.
- Working with different personalities and leading successful projects.
- What he did to bring positive change in his community and the long-term impact of his leadership project.
3rd Essay would ask you about future career plans
- It is important for candidates to mention their career plans that demonstrate how they will support their community or country.
- Goals should be smart enough and realistic enough.
- Plans should include a social, academic, and professional approach.
- A candidate must relate his skills, volunteer activities, and work experience.
4th essay would be about why you want to pursue your studies in the UK
- The reasons for wanting to study in the UK can vary from person to person, but they should be valid and appropriate.
- UK has good merits for one-year masters.
- The UK is home to some of the world’s most prestigious universities.
- The UK is one of the top countries in academics.
- Candidates should mention their interest in cross-cultural understanding.
- Candidates should demonstrate an interest in international research that will benefit the community
- Two letters of recommendation are required.
- The referee must know the applicant either professionally or academically.
- Once a candidate is shortlisted, reference letters will be verified by the British council.
If you follow the above tips, you will be able to Standout your application. You can find more information on How to Win a Chevening Scholarship by searching online.