For undergraduate studies, USIU-Africa offers scholarships to bright and needy students. Every semester, all scholarships, except the Sports Scholarship, are advertised on the USIU-Africa website and in the two major Kenyan newspapers (The Daily Nation and The Standard). In every year, the scholarship recipients are selected/interviewed in July of the summer semester and awarded the scholarship in September of the fall semester.
Full USIU-Africa Scholarship
This covers tuition, books, computer lab fees, and room and board fees in the university hostels for two applicants (female and male).
- A candidate must have sat the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) examinations within one year of applying.
- Attained a mean grade of B+ (Plus) or better in English and Mathematics at KCSE.
- In order to remain eligible, candidates must maintain a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 and above.
Partial USIU-Africa Scholarship
For one female and one male candidate, the Partial USIU-Africa Scholarship covers 100% of tuition costs.
- In order to be eligible for the award, applicants must have passed the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education Examinations (KCSE) not more than one year ago.
- In KCSE, you must have achieved at least a B- in English and Mathematics.
- To remain eligible, you must maintain a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 3.0.
Through the Diversity Scholarship, the university aims to reach out to vulnerable members of society. Among other things, this enables the university to:
- Educate and develop vulnerable members of society.
- Provide university education assistance to bright but needy students from vulnerable populations.
Scholarships are divided into the following categories:
Scholarships for Under-represented Communities
Two (2) tuition-only scholarships are available for bright students from Arid and Semi-Arid (ASAL) regions of Kenya, and one (1) similar scholarship is available for students from informal settlements within USIU-Africa’s neighborhood.
- The applicant must have a KCSE score of B- (minus) or better.
- Be from an ASAL region
- USIU-Africa neighborhood informal settlements.
- Complete all relevant financial aid and admission applications and selection procedures correctly.
- To remain eligible, maintain a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.5 or higher.
Scholarship for the Physically Challenged
There are two (2) full tuition scholarships available to qualified applicants who must use orthopedic appliances for movement. Scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic merit and cover the full cost of tuition
Criteria for eligibility:
- In order to apply, applicants must have a KCSE score of C+ (Plus) or higher.
- Complete all Financial Aid and Admission applications and selection procedures correctly.
- To remain eligible, you must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0.
Sports Scholarships offer 40% and 65% tuition discounts. These scholarships are designed to assist needy students with sporting talents in paying a portion of their tuition.
So long as the beneficiary meets other eligibility requirements, beneficiaries injured while playing for the school team will continue to benefit from the scholarship.
Criteria for eligibility:
- All other requirements and procedures for applying for Financial Aid must be met.
- Demonstrate a need for financial assistance.
- Maintain a 2.0 GPA and register for a minimum of 9 and a maximum of 12 units to remain eligible.
- Join a university sports team.
- The relevant team patron and the Sports Activities Coordinator must recommend you.
- Engage in all team sport activities.
Sports Scholarship for Freshmen
A 40% tuition-only scholarship is available to students in sports disciplines relevant to the university’s sports programs. The scholarships are advertised in high schools, relevant sporting events, and sports organizations during the summer (May) semester, and they are processed at the end of the summer semester, then awarded in the fall (September). Students with national-level certificates are given preference.
Scholarships are awarded upon admission to successful applicants and are renewable if requirements are met.
Sports Scholarships for Continuing Students
Students on a Sports Scholarship for Freshmen are eligible to apply for this 25% tuition-only scholarship.
Requirements for Institutional Scholarships
In order to apply for any institutional scholarship program, you must submit the following documents:
- Letter of application
- A copy of the relevant certificates certified by the principal or head teacher
- Certificate of Completion of School
- A letter of recommendation from the principal or head teacher of the high school attended
- Describe your background and desired degree in an essay
- Scholarship reasons why you deserve it
Criminal Justice Scholarship
A criminal justice system is a government-controlled practice of enforcing laws to ensure social control, prevent and lessen crime, and sanction lawbreakers through courts and legal procedure.
Through the USIU-Africa Bachelor of Arts in Criminal Justice Studies program, USIU-Africa is committed to supporting Kenyan civil servants in achieving their academic goals by providing 5 partial academic scholarships covering 50% of tuition costs.
Application requirements include a scholarship application form, a KCSE (O-Level) certificate, a copy of other relevant certificates, an essay explaining why the applicant deserves the scholarship, and a recommendation letter from an employer (immediate supervisor or department head).